Wednesday, April 23, 2008

So you didn't win the #1 Ribbon....




This past weekend was the ALC Kids Talent Show- Seanna sang with a friend and Emma sang and played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Emma told me before the Talent show that knew that she was going to win as she was playing and singing at the same time. She told me that if you do both- they have to vote for you.

At the end of the night- her friend Saraiya won. She told me later that night- well I guess I lost a friend tonight. I said what? She said you can't expect me to be her friend when she won and I didn't. I was shocked. Are you kidding- she looked at me through narrow eyes- NO!

I said you should be happy for Saraya- she is your friend and she won. Be happy for her. You still have to be friends if you win or loose.

So last night- I asked her if she was feeling better about her friendship- she said a little bit better but she didn't know if they could ever be as close (I about fell out of my chair).

She said- Mom I am disappointed. I thought I had it- I thought I would have won.
----

There are some things in my life that I feel that way about. Disappointed- I thought I had it in the bag- and walked away with a rustling empty one instead!

Times when I have been expecting something and it never has come to pass
Times when I thought people were my friends and they cut me to the bone
Times when I have confided in someone only to find out they confided my secrets to others
Times when I thought I had things figured out and I didn't
Times of feeling alone, deflated, and unappreciated

I have been disappointed too
It might not be over a Talent Show
I might not be 7 or 8
but it still hurts

We all have felt that way
That is why it is vital that we reach OUT to each other
Help someone out
Give someone a hand
or better yet a hug

So today you didn't get the #1 ribbon
Love your friends harder
And give yourself a big hug!

No comments: