Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Prison Break.....I am Free!

I love reading about prison breaks. I think it is the the passion, the planning, the under-dog element of it all just gets me. People like John Dillinger who escaped prison by carving a wooden gun forced the guards into his own cell and fled in the Sheriff's car. Frank Morris and his two friends that made "heads" out of toilet paper and human hair and escaped Alcatraz on a tiny raft. Some that fled prison were never to be seen again- but most of them were apprehended and returned for even a longer sentence or even death.

The true heroes are the men and women that escaped the German concentration camps. Men like Rudolf Vrba who on April 1944 hid under a wood pile for days narrowly escaping the guard dogs who were onto his scent. He finally out-waited them and fled.  I can't imagine the rush he must have had knowing that he had gotten away from the torment, the daily grueling work, the torture that he was not created to withstand. For days he must have paused at the crack of a sapling and paused at the whisper of the wind. 

I look at my own life and realize that in so many ways I have allowed myself to be a prisoner. A prisoner of fear, doubt, insecurity, accepting negative thoughts, worry, and bitterness. Unlike the prisoners listed above all I have to do is repent, change my ways, and give God the reins of my thought life. God has already paid the price and given me a free- get out of jail card. I have the ability to just open up the door and walk out to freedom. 



After speaking to a gentleman who was once incarcerated I asked him what he missed the most while serving his time in prison. He said what he missed the most was the sound of children laughing. That somehow struck a chord with me.  Nehemiah 8:10 tells us that "The Joy of the Lord is our Strength."" The enemy wants to take away our joy, to squash our hope, and any chance of new life.

You have the key to your prison break today. HE is ready to free you from whatever you are facing. No matter the circumstance Isaiah 65:24 tells us" Before they call, I will answer." He already knows what you need today before you ask.



 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

"Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things are passed away; behold, new things have come." II Corinthians 5:17






No comments: