Friday, October 22, 2010

Things on my mind....

1. I hate little goodbye waves. This week Emma had her tonsils and adenoids taken out- I was fine- until little miss was being wheeled out to surgery and all I saw was a little hand waving backwards at me. I looked at John and had tears flooding my eyes. I said "What are they going to do to my baby", and walked slowly to the waiting room.

It reminded me of all of the goodbyes that I have had in my life. I moved a lot. I hated that last wave in the car window, shedding tears, and that lurch that came into my stomach as the car pulled away.

2. I miss my Grandma. This week while caring for Emma- I realized how much I miss her. Today while making rice at lunch I started crying out of no where because I just wanted to see her. She was the best story teller, she made me smile, took such great care of me- and was just a natural at motherhood. Cylinda=not so much. I feel like I suddenly have an infant. I have been up every four hours giving her medicine. Trying to get her just the right food, get her drinks, help her. In the midst of it- I wonder how my kids have made it to the age of 9 and 11.{Picture is of my Grandma Eikamp with my Mom on left and my Aunt Ruth)

3. Never say Never. I was raised in St. Croix USVI. I took Spanish for 12 years in school. I later lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years, I left and went to language school In Guatemala.  At that point of my life I was bilingual enough to translate for church services etc. That was 15-17 years ago.

About a year after attending New Life Church a minister came to me after a service and he said you think that God brought you to this church for one reason but really he brought you here for another. I put it into the back of my mind and moved on. One month later our pastor approached us about helping with a Spanish daughter work for our church. We said we would pray for someone to help. About a month later a Spanish man came to the service. There was no one there to translate so I helped him during that service.


He got baptized that service and made a move towards God. I had secretly told God that I would not say yes to helping with this ministry unless John was 100% in it. John does not know Spanish at all. At lunch he asked- what are you waiting for? Why aren't you saying yes. We both said yes. God has been doing amazing things. He brought an awesome man that helps John with translating for the Spanish Services. We have had 26 different visitors in the last 3 months. The Lord has done so much. When I see Roy, Manuel, Maria, Jose, Sonia, Selena, Gail, German, Carina, Tristen, and others in church on Sundays I just shake my head at the timing of God.

As a child, teen, and young adult I prayed that God would choose me to go to a missions field. I am 42 and my missions field is Cabot, AR. Never say Never. {Picture above is of a recent baptism where I helped Pastor Gaddy translate}

4. I am SOO Blessed.  Life has been a bit of a whirlwind around here. In the end of September our church had a missions conference where we were honored to have missionaries and friends stay with us. I did not want the weekend to end. Then the LORD did incredible things for MK Ministries at the General Conference. We had 225 MKs at the Pizza Bash, and 120 MKs march in the Foreign Missions service. It was a moving experience. Then Steve (my brother who is a missionary) and his family came to stay with us for a week. I love being with them. They are only in the states once every four years- so it was a bit of honey to the soul. I guess I can also add this to the number 1 category as I hated that wave goodbye last Tuesday as they pulled out of our driveway. {Kristen, Emma, Seanna, Megan}


On another note- we have put our house up for sale in Charlotte. I was praying about this - this past Sunday and God seemed to tell me- Cylinda I have everything under control.

I have reminded myself of this phrase over and over this past week.

Love you bloggy buddies ~ C~

5 comments:

Paula said...

I'm with ya on #1. This brought back memories of when Jared had his adenoids removed and having to 'wave goodbye'. So thankful my children have been healthy and I have only had that experience once!

Rejoicing with you on #3!! That is just awesome, girl!! Praying with you that this ministry continues to grow.

Love you much and you're one of the blessings in my life!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Aw, bless Emma's heart - hope she's feeling better soon.

My memories of waving goodbye from the car are of my grandparents. They only lived an hour away, but every time we went to visit they stood on the porch waving as we left. Those were wonderful goodbyes, because we knew we'd seem them again soon.

Excited about your work with Spanish ministry. We have many in our church who are Spanish speaking - thank God for willing translators!

Michelle Palmer said...

Ever have so much to say that you say nothing at all...thats how I feel about this entire post. I have so many comments that I am speechless.
love you and sooo thankful that by some fluke I have ended up with you as a friend!

Cylinda Nickel said...

I am blessed to have all three of you as friends. Truly!

Girly Muse said...

i've been out of commission a bit, so am just catching up. so many things about this post tear me up. just love you so. praying for you and yours. so glad for what God is doing in your life and that you listen to him with an open heart.

hug emma for me. i love her. have had her on the brain and hope she's having a quick recovery.