Monday, April 13, 2009

Postcards


I am not a collector-

BUT-

I do collect postcards. I recently found the third book of the trilogy of the Griffin and Sabine books. It is a book that contains postcards that are written back and forth between two people. One page has the front of the postcard and the next page has the back. It is in their handwriting. I love the book. I found it at a re-sale shop and it was only $3.00

What is it about human nature that the thrill of reading other peoples mail is so infectious? That it is impossible to put a miss-placed letter down? I remember after hurricane Hugo hit St. Croix a friend and I found an abandoned home without windows and doors. It looked like the owner had fled the island and left little behind. I walked room to room absorbed by the the erriness of the devastation when I happened upon a little box. This box was wet and weathered and filled with postcards. I sat on the hard concrete and read every last one of them. I did not stop. I did not know the people that wrote them, any of the people that they were sent to- but I hard to read them. The box lead me to lives of people that I would never meet.

I have postcards from past loves
I have postcards from my Grandma- that is no longer here
I have funny postcards
I have black and white groovy postcards
I have hand drawn postcards
I have ugly 1970's hotel postcards
I have antique postcards
I have postcards from all over the world
Postcards that have been picked up at random shops
From friends and family that know I collect them

I think the reason I like them so much is that they are quick, easy, colorful and from the heart. You get your point across but don't have to be too wordy. It is the fact that you are thinking of the person right?

Jesus words to us are like postcards. They are snippits of wisdom. Some days instead of reading my "daily" Bible Reading- I read my postcard reading from God. I open up the Gospels and look only for things in red. I read it like it is a postcard directly from HIM to ME-

Here goes- I am just opening up to do it for you- ready?

1. God is a spirit and those that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
2. Remember Lot's wife (okay that is not helping me today)
3. Fear not therefore' ye are of more value than many sparrows (see isn't that great?)
4. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
5. Ask and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. (Hallelujah)


Now you are starting to like postcards aren't you?

2 comments:

Girly Muse said...

loved this. makes me want to go hunt down some postcards for you. ok, for me too.

love you!

Unknown said...

Morgan has her postcard from you in a place of honor on her shelf!