Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Top 10 worst things I have eaten.......
1. Flan- I hate the texture in your mouth- UGH
2. Goat Head Soup- my bowl contained the roof of the mouth- I pushed it away ate the dumplings and veggies til the Pastor ate it out of my bowl. (Victory)
3. Pickled quail eggs. We had them on deputation- I thought it was a boiled egg- surprise. The Pastor pickled them himself. What a treat.
4. Goat Water- this is an island treat saved for special occasions only. Served in cups the froth resembles hot cocoa- don't let it fool you- it is the innards of the goat boiled in a soup. (really horrible cold when a layer of fat forms on the top edges of your cup)
5. Mary's Meatloaf. I worked with a lady named Mary that made meatloaf for a work dinner. She spelled her name "Mary" with ketchup on top. Her secret ingredients to her "great" meatloaf? Mayo and Relish. Not delish at all.
6. Chicken Hand Soup. This is the claws of the chicken put into a soup. Steve and I used to take them out and try to find the right cord that would pull them open and close. That is when Mom used to swat at us and tell us not to play with our food.
7. Black Boiled Bananas. I am all for plantains, mofongo, and tostones. I am not for black boiled bananas that are stored in jars. I will not go further as I will not make it through the rest of the blog.
8. Ox Tail Soup. Again with the soups. I don't like the gristle that is caught between your teeth. I am not a huge fan of boiled okra as it makes it slimy. I do like fungi though- and salt fish. Of course not now as I am deadly allergic to all seafood and freshwater fish.
9. Monkey fist soup. Okay this is one thing that was served to me that I could not eat any of it. Just to see the tiny little hands floating in the soup. I could not make myself do this. It was also right after we had to give back our pet monkey Armstrong and send him to Nevis. Just the sight of anything monkey set me off crying. The hostess kindly removed my bowl and that night I just had titi bread and cheese for dinner.
10.Bologna and Butter sandwich. Yep- totally grossed me out.
What is the WORST thing you have eaten?