Thursday, January 15, 2009
For the last time Sharks do NOT LIVE in your bathtub!
For the past 6 months we have been going through this with Emma. She does not want to take a bath or be in the bathroom alone as she feels that at any time sharks can get into the tub with her. we have:
1. We sat down and showed her pictures of HOW BIG sharks are and how small her tub is. She tells us that when they are babies they are only 7 inches long. I suddenly hate her Ranger Rick Magazines.
2. We have assured her that even though her tubs faucet is larger than a pin head it is still SOO small a baby shark could not come out of it. We have also explained that there is a filter the water must go through before it comes out of the faucet. She argues the filter will break.
3. We have driven her to the city water tower to show her where the water is held.
4. We keep her away from the TV during Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.
5. Finally we tell her that sharks live in salt water only and she said that her teacher told her they could stay alive for a while in fresh water.
6. We concluded that we are 174.53 miles from the closest beach. Distance means nothing to a 7 year old.
She STILL does not believe us. Her imagination is stronger than our reasoning and she still has this thing about sharks. The next house that we buy I will not have two stories if I can help it. She has to have someone in a close room when she bathes as she wants to be able to get help if she needs it. While this will all be very funny when she is 17 it is not funny at 7 it is tiresome.
I have thought and thought this. Today for some reason I had a new memory about first grade. Some of you have loved my school memories but this is a new one! It was the end of the year and I was getting ready to take my end of the year swimming test in our school's Olympic sized pool. I suddenly felt like I could not breathe because I knew for sure that as soon as I jumped into the deep end for my end a huge great white shark would be waiting for me.
So you see Tracie- just as you suspected.....the apple does not fall too far from the tree. Maybe I should start checking my bathtub too :) Happy Thursday Blogging Budies!