Monday, August 23, 2010

Dis a ppoint ment


Disappointment is a word that has been on the lips of so many lately.

I planned on getting that done but....
I planned on spending the rest of my life with him in marriage but...
I planned on sitting with them- but their table was full...
I planned on my daughter always living for the lord but...
I wanted to let her know how I felt before she was gone but...
We planned on going on vacation this weekend but...
I wanted to have some quality time with my husband but...
I prayed that I would get that specific job but...

Each of these people have had mental plans. Plans that were stripped from them, ripped out of their hands and destroyed. The days that were spent in the expectation, hours filled with dreams, whispers, talks, sharing, hopes-it all vanished in a split second. Sometimes with even one word- or a quick sharp response.

Words like:

Divorce.
I don't love you.
The job has been filled.
Mom- I'm moving on.
Find another place to sit.
You have had a heart attack.
I need you to help me this weekend.
This comes first and then we can spend time together.

All short sentences. None of them take more than thirty seconds to say- but each sentence leaves a lifetime to get over them. Hurdles to cross, knees to be brushed off, band-aids to be applied, and hearts that have been tenderized through some of lives roughest trials.

So what do we do with these disappointments that happen in life?

What is your attitude like when the Lord takes his liberty in your life? How do you handle disappointment?

1. Let go of worry. Put it in God's hands. He is Sovereign. You can't change your past- you don't know what will happen tomorrow -but you do have control over your attitude for today. Choose to let go of condemnation.

2. Know this -Psalm 30:5- Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Today may be rough but know it is a season. Things may make us feel sad or frustrated temporarily- but know that joy is around the corner.

3. Get out there and help someone else. The enemy tries to get us so wrapped up in our own problems, issues, situations that we miss out of opportunities to bless and help others. When you step out of your situation and bless others- the Lord will often be ministering to you at the same time!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

4 comments:

Paula said...

Missed your blogs lately. :) Can't IMAGINE why you haven't had time to blog??!! Haha Love you MUCH and thanks for an inspiring thought this morning. It is so true that words can be so brief and yet their effect can last a lifetime....for good or bad. I want to use my words to bless!

You're one awesome chick! Have a great week.

Unknown said...

Like! =0)

Kathy McElhaney said...

So good. Speaking from experience, I know that life can be very painful. But God is bigger than the pain and the prayers of His people are one of the strongest powers on earth.

Anonymous said...

This is JUST what I needed to hear...write this moment. Thank you for being a major role in changing my mood :) :)